Sunday, December 23, 2007

Crossing a new border ...

Travelling through the South West of China I can only find support for my earlier statement about borders that are vague. After we passed Jinghong Ed and I entered a new space. New dresses, new faces and new houses. I felt kind of surprised that again I was slowly leaving China. With 30 rides from Guangzhou we got to a very simple small border crossing near Mengla. The no-mans land between China and Laos is still under construction and hmmm not so much used (meaning not so many cars passing). The border crossing continued to be a source of joy. Just to be sure I asked the officer when I had to leave this country. I expected an answer 17th or 18th of January, he told me 16th of February. Visa's will remain an uncertainty! Thank you I said. We enjoyed our first cold Lao Beer and found a place to sleep in the jungle!
Laos, a land where we could easily enter, a land where smiles feel more genuine then in China, a land that at some moments seems to be a land of children only, a place where you choose which spices you add to your nice fried rice dish, a land that has beer carrying it's name that is really tasty and strong, a land where the communist red hammer and sickle waves next to the national one. Laos ... a new language, a new alphabet ...Laos the land that gave me more time than I asked for ...but again I have no idea where I really will be next month.

I am very lucky that my new travel companion is a computer-genius! You can take a look at his picture gallery to see mine as well (until I have solved my logistical data problems which happen if you travel five months without doing any proper work with your pictures)! You find access to his gallery on his blog: www.edwas.de

No comments: