Monday, September 17, 2007

Time to go to Japan

Cars, especially in Russia were shaking us sometimes to all sides but living 42 hours on a big boat made me walk the Japanese soil for two more days moving unnecessarily from left to right and feeling a bit dizzy. I was surprised how such a big boat can be so much influenced by the waves. Surrounded by sea and after exploring all corners of the ship Carina and I had lots of time to talk and have tea. Probably we could have spent even more time like this: running around, bathing in a big bathroom with a huge warm bath and 10 showers or just watching the sea and wonder. The time to reflect and read our diaries to one another was a beautiful gift before we would arrive to the land of the Rising Sun and live a different life then the past two months. Many people asked me about our companionship. We lived 24 hours together for two months, sharing food from one plate and sleeping sometimes really close to each other. Something I have never done with anybody before. But our companionship was truly great and with a lot of joy. When in September 2006 we said: `next year we will go together` it was a deep feeling in me that told me Carina was the right person to travel with. The joy of sharing experiences with somebody is indescribable as well is having really a lot of time to get to know somebody very valuable.
When entering China I had a Lonely Planet with at least 80 pages of compact history, written from a Western perspective, in my backpack. But when moving towards Japan I consciously had not searched for any information or travel guide. I must admit that long time ago I developed this prejudice of not liking Japan at all. It did not say me anything; I did not feel like visiting this island. I don’t know why or when this prejudice was formed but I am grateful for Carina who dragged me along to the East. Especially during this travel I have been thinking a lot about how my prejudices came into being and how they proved to be incorrect. My idea of not liking Japan was very much out of place. I liked this country from the moment I was stepping on its soil. I am also extremely happy to experience this place, its culture and nature like a child, without any previous knowledge. So actually I also want to say to those readers who would like to travel like this and enjoy the joy of amazement and discovering, maybe you should not continue. The first things about Japan I learned on the boat. Carina and I are standing on the upper deck when she says: `that guy is Japanese`. I ask `how do you know`. `By the way he walks` she says. I laugh. She explains that this `way` results from sitting on the knees. Second thing I learn are that slippers are very important and that walking with shoes in certain places is simply NOT done! The third thing I learnt was the Japanese way of bathing. The bath is shared. My host mother would later say: `We Japanese, we don’t make the water dirty`. You shower and wash and only then you go into the bath, a small hot swimming pool. We would be sitting there in the middle of the night and would be cleaner then ever.
But what is maybe one of the very present and visible characteristics of Japanese people became visible straight after passing the Chinese border in Qingdao port. A sign told me the ethics of the staff of the port. Things like not to discriminate, be polite, don’t say unfriendly words etc.; which we in Europe of course also expect from staff were just clearly stated. So far I also haven’t seen any Japanese neglecting those rules of courtesy. Sometimes this friendliness would really surprise us, like when we sneaked into the cafeteria of the boat and ate our own food at the table in the corner and the staff, who were preparing the place to open it, would say `Thank you very much` to us.
And so step by step I learn about Japan. I look with my eyes wide open. I received a stamp in my passport stating I am a temporary visitor who has the right to stay till the 2nd of December. Never since the start of our journey had I felt so much freedom. We reached Japan in time for Carina to start her research at the Japanese Foundation for which she got a scholarship. No more `have to be somewhere`s` and for the first time my passport gives me the right to stay in one country for more then 30 days! Japan would be very different for us. Carina`s life would be certain for four months. She has a roof for every night, she has a clear task to accomplish, and she has money and food. I entered Japan without any knowledge, except from the map of Japan I got from Carina in Qingdao, and without any plan. I felt so free and was filled with indescribable joy. Carina could not help it to worry about me or feel guilty that she is walking towards a luxurious life and that I did not know where to go. And of course a certain feeling of sadness was coming over us. Reaching Japan meant we would separate soon. We did not feel tired of traveling together at all.

1 comment:

Carina said...

Such a nice post, so many kind words! Now that I am in a tremendous distance from you (not geographically but lifestyle-wise), I look up to you and am following your forever unfolding story with anticipation, worry...at the same time joy to every success and great experience that you are having. I have taken a position of so many who are following you from their "set and secure" everyday (and it is still so new to me!).
Thank you for every step of the way! Travelling with you is truly a present to me!