Thursday, October 11, 2007

A great musician and an unexpected homestay

I felt I was living in a dream. Only a few hours after saying goodbye to Carina at a crossroad in Kyoto I found myself in great Japanese company. People I would meet again and whom I get to know better. My first day in Kobe was about David Juritz, I became his photographer and moviemaker and listened several times to his amazing performances. We visited an International School, surprised people in front of a fancy schopping centre and I ended up in astonishment in a small cosy cafe. I could hardly speak. It was beautiful. Between his concerts we talked about life. Please take a look on his website and believe me any support for his charity organisation Musequality will be used in a very good way. In Uganda he supports some young streetchildren who made it from establishing a local brass band to an organisation supporting education for the other disadvantaged children in Kampala. He spoke about children breaking into school early in the mornings to practice. After he left his music accompanied me many times when I was working in Kobe. The unexpected music performance had connected me to Michiko, a woman of 67 who became my Japanese host mother but especially became a very special friend. Someone you know you will keep in touch with. We connected very well. A bit similar maybe? I was smiling. Everyday when I woke up I was so happy to be in that cosy house in the hills of Kobe. I called Michiko`s husband Otosan. Just like everybody called him. Only after staying ten days I found out I was calling him `father`. But he was my Japanese father. The warmth of this great couple is indescribable. I learned, I learned a lot from them. And it was sad to leave. Michiko was very busy, first with being a great help to David Juritz. Through a friend of her daughter, also a great violinist, she became his main contact person in Japan. She was also preparing a charity concert with an old friend of hers from New York and drove many times up to the hospital to take care of her mother. So busy and still she took also great care of me. In a way we met at the right moment because soon it became clear I could help her a lot. I cleaned the `Abesan Temple`, became a gardener and helped with the preparations of the concert. Twice I replaced her as an English teacher for eight children and two mothers which gave me my first Japanese earnings. Sometimes we would talk till late in the night and many times Michiko approached me with great ideas. I learned to slurp again and that walking with the toilet slippers in other parts of the house is simply not done. I was surprised by many Japanese things. Otosan took me to a beef-party. I did not know that Kobe beef is the best in the world. I was truly in heaven that night on his sailing boat surrounded by his great smiling friends, with a beautiful sunset and the beef melting on my tongue. Otosan would also take me for a hike in the botanical garden, for ice creams and lunches. One evening the three of us drove up the mountain in Kobe to wave to Carina. The view on the Osaka-Kobe bay by night was great. I learned so much! I learned about Buddhism, life, Japanese society, some Japanese language, especially from her two grandchildren Otoha and Amane, and even some predictions about my own future! After two great weeks I left the house of the Abesans to make room for Michiko`s daughter and her family who was coming over from Florida. I left on a trip to Shikoku Island to think about what I wanted to do next in Japan.

No comments: